Tuesday, May 21 2013 3:47 PM EDT2013-05-21 19:47:52 GMT
Teachers in the area were honored this week during KPLC – Billy Navarre Teacher Appreciation Week 2013. Gift Certificates were given to each teacher for one free tire rotation and car wash. As partMore >>
Teachers in the area were honored this week during KPLC – Billy Navarre Teacher Appreciation Week 2013. More >>
Tuesday, May 21 2013 2:43 PM EDT2013-05-21 18:43:04 GMT
Travis Matte and the Kingpins will take the stage at "Downtown at Sundown" in Lake Charles from 6:15 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Friday, May 24. Since 2004, the group has blended together various musical stylesMore >>
Travis Matte and the Kingpins will take the stage at Downtown at Sundown in Lake Charles from 6:15 p.m. to 9 p.m., Friday, May 24.More >>
Tuesday, May 21 2013 11:39 AM EDT2013-05-21 15:39:23 GMT
It's not the scenario the Cameron Parish School Board thought they would be facing. "I would like to say that I'm ashamed of Cameron Parish. They voted to pass the road and bridge and the health unitMore >>
The Cameron Parish School Board is searching to offset nearly $4 million after voters decided not to renew to tax propositions earlier this month. As KPLC's Lee Peck reports, while they're set to give it another try, they'll have to find a way to cut costs in the meantime.More >>
Local News, Weather, Traffic, Sports, Stocks, Movies on your Cell PhoneMore >>
Get local news, weather, sports, and video on your mobile device.More >>
Spicy crabmeat with vegetable pasta by John Besh
1 cup cherry tomatoes
1 recipe basic homemade pasta or dried linguine or spaghetti
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
1 small yellow squash, thinly sliced
1 small Japanese eggplant, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 pound jumbo lump blue crabmeat picked over
1 cup cherry tomato five minute sauce
1 heaping teaspoon sambal chile paste
leaves of 1 sprig fresh basil chopped
1) Bring a small pot of water to a boil over high heat. While the water heats, make a tiny incision on the stem end of every tomato. Drop the tomatoes into the boiling water. Remove them immediately and cool in a bowl of ice water. Slip the skins from the tomatoes.
2) Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water over moderate heat until just tender, 3-12 minutes depending on whether you are using fresh pasta or dried. Drain the pasta.
3) Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and saute the zucchini, yellow squash and eggplant until soft about 7 minutes.
4) Add the garlic and peeled tomatoes to the skillet. Season with a little salt and pepper. Add crabmeat cherry tomato five minute sauce and cooked pasta. Toss everything together then add 6 tablespoons of the olive oil and the chile paste. Cook for 5 minutes then remove from the heat. Add the basil just before serving and season again with salt and pepper.
CHERRY TOMATO FIVE MINUTE SAUCE:
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil.
2 quarts ripe cherry tomatoes halved
leaves from 1 branch fresh basil
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes.
4 cloves garlic, thinly slice.
Salt freshly ground black pepper.
1) heat the oil in a large saute pan over high heat, add tomatoes, basil, sugar, pepper flakes, and garlic and cook until tomatoes come to a boil. Cook for five minutes more, crushing the tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon.
2) use a food mill to puree the sauce, or push the tomatoes through a strainer into a bowl with a rubber spatula. Discard solids, season the puree with salt and pepper.
3) pour the pureed tomatoes through a canning funnel into a quart jar. Use as soon as possible.