LAKE CHARLES, LA (KPLC) – It only takes a split second for a child to run out of sight and fall in the water. Bill and Rachael Denny of Moss Bluff lost sight of their son Aadyn, 2, as he climbed the out door pool ladder. Aadyn fell into the pool and if Brooklyn Billings, 6, had not called for help, he might not have survived.
"He was blue and unconscious… You think, 'Oh that can't happen to me! my son knows better," explained Rachael Denny.
They were celebrating Aadyn's second birthday with family and friends at the time of the accident. Luckily Bill, who was a volunteer firefighter, and Rachael are both trained in child CPR, so they did not hesitate.
Lee Anna Duplechain, a PALS certified Registered Nurse, says it is very important for the child to get oxygen immediately. She said, "They have healthy hearts and could recover, so you can do two breaths in their mouth and start chest compressions. That might start the heart beating on its own."
Bill Denny says he learned the importance of every parent being prepared for the worst.
"Everyone has smoke detectors in their house, fire extinguishers, carbon monoxide detectors," he said, "but until something like this happens your average person isn't thinking about CPR training. They don't have to fall in the pool. They could drown in a bath tub. It's better to know it and not need it than to need it and no know it."
Thanks to his parents' quick thinking, Aadyn woke up before the paramedics arrived. This story has a happy ending, but accidental drowning is one of the leading causes of death for boys under five years old. Dr. Ben Williams, a Pediatric ICU Physician at Lake Charles Memorial Hospital, warns children must be treated in these circumstances with special care.
"Remember that kids aren't little adults, they have different biological functions, different physiology, and some of the specifics that apply to children are different than adults," said Dr. Williams.
Aadyn is back to drawing and playing like a toddler should, but the nightmare still haunts his family.
"Walking through the store you see pool supplies its kind of your heart stops a little bit," shuddered Rachael Denny.
They have removed the pool ladder and plan on enrolling Aadyn and his two sisters in swim lessons soon.