Three arrested for armed robbery and battery of Sulphur couple

Joshua Hooper (Source: CPSO)
Joshua Hooper (Source: CPSO)
Terrance Vezinat (Source: CPSO)
Terrance Vezinat (Source: CPSO)
Christa Raymond (Source: CPSO)
Christa Raymond (Source: CPSO)

By Lee Peck - bio | email

LAKE CHARLES, LA (KPLC) - Calcasieu Parish Sheriff's deputies have arrested three people for the alleged armed robbery and the battery of a Sulphur couple on Sunday.

On Sunday, June 6, Calcasieu Parish Sheriff's Office deputies responded to a 911 call at a house on Pescadora Drive in Sulphur. Authorities say that three people - 29-year-old Joshua Hooper of Ragley, 25-year-old Terrance Vezinat and 22-year-old Christa Raymond, both of Moss Bluff, reportedly went to a home in Sulphur with the intent of harming the resident.

"I thought we were going to die. I thought they were going to kill us... I did," said Sandra Hall.

Sandra Hall and Gwin Bergeron recall what happened last Friday. They say a misunderstanding led to the three suspects knocking on their door. They say Josh Hooper is the only one of the bunch they knew.

"He come to the door, knocked very politely you know - it wasn't no big banging on my door. And when I opened the door it was surprise city! I got hit right in the head and went down," said Gwin.

Gwin says T.J. hit him in the face with a pipe as Josh took a baseball bat and began beating and kicking him as he was down in the fetal position.

"I ran to the bedroom to call for help and T.J. took off running after me and jumped on top of me and I grabbed him by the eyeball because he had my hands trying to get my cell phone - because I was trying to dial 911 and he took my whole thumb and bent it back," said Sandra.

According to Sandra, T.J. would eventually get the cell phone and go back for round two with Gwin, who now lay on the floor in a puddle of blood.

"He would not stop," said Sandra.

But Sandra says he did stop long enough to turn his anger back towards her. "He plowed me into the kitchen cabinets. My tailbone hit the counter," said Sandra. "I was hollering at Josh - you need to stop him - and Josh looked at me and I was like please get him off of me because he was hurting me and Josh started fighting with him and finally got him to the front door."

Once back outside, the Sheriff's Office says they weren't done. One still armed with the baseball bat the other with the pipe they went to town on Gwin's truck and another car in the driveway - busting out all of the windows before finally leaving. Gwin would spend three nights in the hospital.

"This is the first time I've seen my truck. It's just total shock. I just can't believe my truck was looking like this. I just can't believe somebody would go that far," said Gwin.

To add insult to injury - the trio stole more than 200 dollars worth of meat from their freezer. But despite their losses and the reconstruction surgeries Gwin still faces, they know it could have been much worse.

"I thank God that I'm still alive. Brother let me put it to you that way. I want to thank God first that we are both still alive," said Gwin.

On Monday, detectives arrested Hooper and Raymond and booked them into the Calcasieu Correctional Center. Both were charged with armed robbery and criminal damage to property. Hooper was also charged with aggravated second degree battery.

Later that afternoon, detectives arrested Vezinat and booked him on charges of armed robbery, aggravated second degree battery, second degree battery and criminal damage to property.

Hooper's bond was set at $100,000; Raymond's was set at $35,000; Vezinat's was set at $200,000.

Copyright 2010 KPLC. All rights reserved.