The following is a press release from the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals:
The Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals is holding events statewide, April 6-11, to educate those eligible for Medicaid and Louisiana Children's Health Insurance Program (LaCHIP) about their options and encourage Louisiana residents' participation.
Medicaid and LaCHIP representatives are canvassing communities across the state, especially in low-income neighborhoods, this week. Representatives are also hosting public events – from public meetings to enrollment events at libraries, pharmacies and businesses – to distribute applications, process enrollment forms, and answer questions about LaCHIP, the LaCHIP Affordable Plan and other Medicaid programs.
"Promoting participation in existing health care programs is crucial to our state's future," said DHH State Health Officer Dr. Jimmy Guidry. "Enrolling in programs like LaChip is the first step in a series of what we hope are long-term healthy practices. And the more we practice healthy behaviors and regular doctor visits when we're in good health, the less we will be forced to seek care later for preventable illnesses."
From February 2009 to February 2010, Louisiana's Medicaid population boomed from 1,064,996 to 1,136,661 due in part to aggressive outreach practices. More than 71,000 previously uninsured Louisiana residents now have access to health care and the chance for a healthier life.
A complete listing of DHH-sponsored events is below. Informational displays and enrollment sites will also be available to the public at various businesses and locations within their communities.
The Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals strives to protect and promote health statewide and to ensure access to medical, preventive and rehabilitative services for all state citizens. To learn more about DHH, visit http://www.dhh.louisiana.gov.
Region 1 – New Orleans
- Medicaid Enrollment Drive, Walgreens Pharmacy, 4550 General Meyer, Algiers, April 9, 2010 from 9 a.m.
to 4 p.m.
- Celebration of the Young Child at Audubon Park Shelter, 6500 Magazine St., New Orleans, April 11, 2010 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Region 2 – Baton Rouge
- Enrollment Outreach, LSU Union, Free Speech Alley, Monday and Wednesday, April 5 and 7, 2010 from 10
a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Enrollment Outreach, Southern University Union Lobby, Tuesday and Friday, April 6 and 9,, 2010 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Enrollment Outreach, Pointe Coupee General Hospital, 2202 False River Dr., Pointe Coupee, Tuesday, April 6, 2010 from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Enrollment Outreach, West Baton Rouge Health Unit, 685 Louisiana Ave., Port Allen, Wednesday, April 7, 2010 from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Information table at Jones Creek Regional Branch Library, 6222 Jones Creek Road, Baton Rouge, April 7, 2010 from 10 a.m. to noon.
- Information table at Central Branch Library, 11260 Joor Road, Baton Rouge, April 7, 2010 from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Enrollment Outreach, Baton Rouge Community College Union, Thursday, April 8, 2010 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- LaCHIP Health Fair, East Baton Rouge Medicaid Office, 2521 Wooddale Blvd., Baton Rouge, Saturday, April 10, 2010 from 9 a.m. to noon.
Region 3 – Houma/Thibodaux
- Business to business community outreach in Terrebonne parish, Parish Wide, April 10, 2010 from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Region 4 – Lafayette
- LaCHIP presents A Healthier America: One Community at a Time, Lunch & Learns for small business owners. Iberia Parish on Monday, April 5, 2010; St. Martin and Acadia Parishes on Tuesday, April 6, 2010; Lafayette Parish on Wednesday, April 7, 2010; St. Landry Parish on Thursday, April 8, 2010; and Vermilion Parish on Friday, April 9, 2010.
- LaCHIP presents A Healthier America: One Community at a Time, Health and Resource Fair on Saturday, April 10, 2010 at the Mall of Acadiana, 5725 Johnston Street, Lafayette, LA 70503 from 10a.m. to 4 p.m.
Region 6 – Alexandria
- Community Job Fair, Riverfront Center, 707 Main St., Alexandria, Tuesday, April 6, 2010 from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- CVS Pharmacy, 4443 Jackson St., Alexandria, Friday, April 9, 2010 from noon to 4 p.m.
Region 7 – Shreveport
- Door-to-Door Canvassing - Greenwood Terrace, 4619 Luiciana Circle, Shreveport, Tuesday, April 6, 2010 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Door-to-Door Canvassing - Barton Drive Manor, 1625 Barton Dr., Shreveport, Tuesday, April 6, 2010 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Door-to-Door Canvassing - University Oaks Apartments, 4701 Shreveport-Blanchard Hwy, Shreveport, Tuesday, April 6, 2010 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Door-to-Door Canvassing - Homer-Claiborne Parish, 329 South 4th Street, Homer, Tuesday, April 6, 2010 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Door-to-Door Canvassing - Bossier City-Bossier Parish, 805 E. 1st Street, Bossier City, Wednesday, April 7, 2010 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Door-to-Door Canvassing - Arcadia-Bienville Parish, 3177 Dance Circle, Arcadia, Thursday, April 8, 2010 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Door-to-Door Canvassing - Minden-Webster Parish, 1209 East Street, Minden, Friday, April 9, 2010 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Region 9 – Northshore