School districts could inherit state debts - KPLC 7 News, Lake Charles, Louisiana

School districts could inherit state debts

By Crystal Price - bio | email

JENNINGS, LA (KPLC) - Governor Bobby Jindal has proposed to shift $14 million in transportation and salary expenses from the state to local public school districts next school year.

State Superintendent Paul Pastorek said school systems have unspent money in reserves along with federal stimulus dollars to cover the costs.

However, Jeff Davis Parish school officials said a huge percentage of their reserve money goes for other purposes.

David Clayton, superintendent of Jeff Davis Parish Schools, said one-third of the district's reserve fund goes for paying retirement insurance and another one-third goes to paying on school bonds.

This proposal would force schools to not only use money from their reserves, but also turn to their general funds as well.

While 86 percent of the general fund goes for personnel and salaries, the other 14 percent goes to classroom programs.

"When we try to cut the budget in Jeff Davis, it's hard to find a place to cut in that remaining 14 percent," said Clayton.

This would force the district to cut funds in the areas of test prep programs, bus transportation, and employee retirement.

"It shouldn't be passed down to us in these hard economic times because we are struggling with the same cuts that they are struggling with," said Clayton.

Although Clayton is not happy with the proposal, he hopes the state will give the schools some type of increase to help the schools if they do inherit the state debt.

Lawmakers plan to create a final version of the 2010-11 budget in June.

Copyright 2010 KPLC. All rights reserved.

  • More Local NewsNewsMore>>

  • BREAKING

    One child dead, another in stable condition after boating accident on Sabine River

    One child dead, another in stable condition after boating accident on Sabine River

    Sunday, August 20 2017 10:14 PM EDT2017-08-21 02:14:39 GMT
    Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (Source: LDWF)Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (Source: LDWF)

    A single-vessel boating accident on the Sabine River near Niblett's Bluff Park Sunday evening has resulted in two children being seriously injured, according to the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries. The injured children have been taken to the hospital, and one child is in critical condition, said Lt. Beau Robertson, LDWF spokesman.

    More >>

    A single-vessel boating accident on the Sabine River near Niblett's Bluff Park Sunday evening has resulted in two children being seriously injured, according to the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries. The injured children have been taken to the hospital, and one child is in critical condition, said Lt. Beau Robertson, LDWF spokesman.

    More >>
  • Dog abandoned at local vet gets second chance

    Sunday, August 20 2017 8:16 PM EDT2017-08-21 00:16:58 GMT

    It's unfortunately more common than you would think: pet owners dropping their animals off at the vet and never picking them up. Most offices cannot take in these animals, so they just end up at the shelter.

    More >>

    It's unfortunately more common than you would think: pet owners dropping their animals off at the vet and never picking them up. Most offices cannot take in these animals, so they just end up at the shelter.

    More >>
  • FIRST ALERT FORECAST: A few showers possible during the eclipse; Scattered storms likely all week

    FIRST ALERT FORECAST: A few showers possible during the eclipse; Scattered storms likely all week

    Sunday, August 20 2017 4:53 PM EDT2017-08-20 20:53:00 GMT
    A few showers possible Monday for the eclipseA few showers possible Monday for the eclipse

    Overnight, we will have clouds clear and will become mostly clear. Temperatures will slowly fall to the mid 70s. It will feel very warm due to the humidity. Heat indices will be in the 80s, throughout the night. Monday, the day of the eclipse, there is just a 30% chance of rain, so we will most likely have a few clouds during the time of the eclipse. There could be a few showers around the peak of the eclipse, but more likely, at least some clouds. 

    More >>

    Overnight, we will have clouds clear and will become mostly clear. Temperatures will slowly fall to the mid 70s. It will feel very warm due to the humidity. Heat indices will be in the 80s, throughout the night. Monday, the day of the eclipse, there is just a 30% chance of rain, so we will most likely have a few clouds during the time of the eclipse. There could be a few showers around the peak of the eclipse, but more likely, at least some clouds. 

    More >>
Powered by Frankly