Press release from Unified Command:
PORT ARTHUR, Texas - The following information contains recent updates from Jan. 25, 2010 regarding the Port Arthur oil spill.
- 220,053 gallons of oil have been recovered, evaporated or dispersed naturally.
- Approximately 9 miles of shoreline have been impacted
- Two oiled birds have been reported, one has been captured and is being cleaned
- 59,800 feet of boom has been deployed
- 27 skimming vessels are on scene
- 36 vessels are on scene to deploy and work boom
- The Texas Responder, a 210-foot oil recovery vessel, is on scene
- Approximately 550 people are responding
Lightering for the barges, which were being pushed by the towing vessel Dixie Vengeance at the time of the incident are scheduled to begin at 9:30 a.m. Lightering operations for the tank vessel Eagle Otome are scheduled to begin today as well.
No injuries have been reported.
To report oiled wildlife please contact 1-888-709-9798. The public should not attempt to capture any oiled wildlife.
A claims number has been established for this incident. To report a claim, please call 866-310-3831.