Early morning house fire, vagrants may be to blame - KPLC 7 News, Lake Charles, Louisiana

Early morning house fire, vagrants may be to blame

By Michael Addison - email

LAKE CHARLES, LA (KPLC) - An early morning fire sends a vacant house up in flames, and the smoke causes problems for an elderly neighbor.

Firefighters say the fire started around 3:30 a.m. in a vacant house on Church Street off Enterprise Boulevard.

They believe vagrants who may have been living there started it.

Firefighters say when they arrived, flames could be seen coming from the roof, and they found out that the blaze had spread to the nearby home of a 71-year-old woman.

She was treated for minor injuries from the smoke, and is expected to be fine. That's welcomed news, because we're told today (Wednesday) is her birthday.

Copyright 2009 KPLC. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly