LAKE CHARLES, LA (KPLC) - A small fire at Vincent Settlement Elementary in Carlyss caused the school to be temporarily shut down on Thursday morning.
According to the Carlyss Fire Department, a small fire started early this morning which caused smoke into the class rooms. The school was emptied and the Fire Department was able to put out the fire quickly.
At this time, it seems as if the fire started because paper work was left inside of a new air conditioner/heating unit. No one was hurt and the school was able to get back into session by 8 a.m.
The Fire Department is recommending that everyone check their heating units to make sure that nothing flammable is in close proximity to it. It is also important to keep all smoke alarms in working condition. Make sure to check the battery life and if it can actually detect smoke.