LAKE CHARLES, LA (KPLC) - Seven families in Vinton were able to return to their homes Friday night after they were evacuated for several hours on Friday afternoon because of a natural gas leak.
Vinton's fire chief says that a public works crew was installing a new drain around 3:00 p.m. on Friday behind the post office. While doing so, the crew reportedly hit a Centerpoint Energy gas line.
The post office, seven homes, and a nearby business were evacuated. Residents were eventually given the all clear to return into their homes just before 7:30 p.m. Friday evening.