LAKE CHARLES, LA (KPLC) - It was nothing short of devastating. After 21 years of service to the community, the first floor of the Lake Charles Children's Museum went up in flames.
The Lake Charles Fire Department responded around 2:00, Wednesday morning.
"With in 12 minutes fire crews had the fire totally under control," said Captain Jeremy LeBlanc, LCFD.
LeBlanc said they believe that a heat lamp in a wooden cage for an iguana, could possibly be what started the fire. While it did heavy damage to the entire first level, Captain LeBlanc said it was the quick response of the 21 firefighters on the scene that saved other levels of the building from being engulfed.
"The fire could have spread to the attic, very easily. And, it could have caused the whole building to go. However, they did everything they were supposed to do and the building was saved," said Captain LeBlanc.
But, with the extent of the damages, Dan Ellender, executive director of the Children's Museum said it's "a long road ahead."
"We have already met with our Board of Directors and our next step is to get the community behind us. We are going to need a lot of help. We are going to need volunteer help; we are going to need monetary help; and we are going to need patience as we rebuild. We are not going to let the children down. We will recover from this because, we have already gotten commitments from the community. We are going to need the whole community to get together and help us," said Executive Director Dan Ellender.