UPDATE: Early morning fatal fire in Lake Charles

By Britney Glaser - bio | email

UPDATE: KPLC 7 News has learned the identity of the victims. They are eighteen year olds Ashley Renee Cook and William Kyle Richard.

Fire officials say the cause of their deaths was because of exposure to carbon monoxide through smoke inhalation.

The cause of the fire may be the result of possible smoking material left unattended.

LAKE CHARLES, LA (KPLC) - Two people are dead after fire destroys a garage apartment in the Oak Park-Enterprise Boulevard area of Lake Charles.

Capt. Jeremy LeBlanc with the Lake Charles Fire Department says a call came into the Lake Charles Fire Department around 3:20 Monday morning.

When firefighters arrived on the scene, the apartment was fully engulfed in flames. Once the fire was extinguished, two bodies were found in the corner of a room.  Calcasieu Coroner's Office Investigator Zeb Johnson says, "Right now we're going through the process of trying to determine if there are only two victims.  We're also trying to determine race, sex - those things we normally do.  It's going to take some time to get crime scene people out here to go through this. The bodies are wedged in the corner of the building. We're going to try to get in there and make sure the structure is safe for our people as they go in and out of that building."