Need money to elevate your home?

By Amanda Ward - bio | email

LAKE CHARLES, LA (KPLC) - It's two months until the start of hurricane season and hundreds of home owners are not prepared for another storm.

It was literally standing room only at the Hackberry Community Center where residents packed in to learn more about the Office of Community Development Disaster Recovery Unit's (OCD-DRU) mitigation grants.

Chuck Perrodin with OCD said, "This is all about preparation for the next storm. We want people elevated. Many of these residents may have already got ICC elevation money from their flood insurance, they may have got road home money, but our program is to give them additional money to elevate. That's what mitigation is all about."

Through the program homeowners can get up to a $100,000 for elevation. That's on top of any money you may have already received.

"This is a reimbursement program. You get half of the money when you get your house elevated and the other half once your house is move in ready. Two stages," said Perrodin.

You must meet the following criteria to be considered for the OCD-DRU HMGP award:

Homeowner is an eligible recipient of the Road Home program (although if you were ruled ineligible due to receipt of funds from other sources you may also be eligible)

Homeowner selected Road Home Option 1 - Keep your home

Homeowner still owns the home that was eligible for Road Home benefits

The structure is located in the 100 year floodplain

Homeowner agrees to comply with all HMGP regulations

But, there are exceptions and everyone is encouraged to meet with a mitigation team member to see if they can receive funds.

After hearing all of the general information, residents could make individual appointments to discuss their own specific needs.

OCD-DRU will be in the area until Sunday.

For more information visit their website or call 1-877-744-7235 to set up your own appointment to see if you're eligible.